Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day Three

Hello!

Casey writing here. So Cape Town is more beautiful than I had imagined. I thought it would be desert like but it's not at all. I have pictures below. Today was our 2nd day of VBS or "Holiday Club" as South Africans call it, and everything is going smoothly. Everyone who has been on a mission trip out of the country always comes back and says they don't have words to describe what they've seen. I totally understand now. For once in my life, I'm speechless. You hear about poverty in Africa and you've seen pictures of it. Nothing compares to experiencing it. Unbelievable. Entire families living in a one room shack that is smaller than most of our living rooms. The children see EVERYTHING that goes on in that house. They are exposed to things that are unfathomable.

What has been so humbling is attending a church service in a township called Masiphumelele where extreme poverty surrounds and hearing the congregation praise God. A woman gave her testimony and talked about all the great things God has done for her. She has nothing!! Made me feel so ungrateful.

On a lighter note we are having such a good time here. I'm loving bonding with new people and getting to know everyone better. We laugh a lot. The Team House manager, Clynton, has quite the opinion of Americans and gives us a hard time at any chance he can, got the van stuck in the sand. Who saved the day? "Stupid American girls :)"










0 comments:

Post a Comment