Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rio Medical Mission Journey: Meet the Pharmacy Team



CATHY PATTERSON

From Franklin, TN


What do you do back at home?

I'm the Catalyst Minister for Kairos at Brentwood Baptist Church.


Why did you decide to come on this trip?

Because Scott Harris begged me. No, I really came on this trip because I love the people of Brazil. I was here in 2006 and fell in love with the people. When this trip came up, I felt God's calling on my life to return.


What was your favorite part of the day?

I have fun with the patients when they come by for their prescriptions. We're dancing, singing, and waving at them. We have fun. And, also, spending my 32nd wedding anniversary with this team.


What are you most surprised to see come out of this week?

I do think it's really fun to be an eyewitness to what God is doing around us, not only in the new church and the people that we've attracted to the clinic, but also to the things that are going on in the lives of the team members and how I see them changing right before my eyes. It's transformation that only God can do.



KAYLAN CHRISTOPHER

From Texas

Currently lives in Franklin, TN


What do you do back at home?

I'm the Editorial Manager (writer and editor) at Brentwood Baptist Church in the Communications Ministry.


Why did you decide to come on this trip?

Because God created me to write and I want to tell the stories of God and his people all over the world. I've been praying for the opportunity to do this for about a year now. And he answered by opening up the chance to be on this trip to Rio.


What was your favorite part of the day?

Talking in-depth with two interpreters—Cecilia and Nilton—and hearing all about their stories, their families, and their jobs, and how they came to know the Lord, how they learned English, and how they're reaching Brazilian people.


What are you most surprised to see come out of this week?

The unity of Brazilians and Americans bonding over our love for Christ through worship, conversation, and service—even though some of us can't communicate in language with each other. My whole perspective has changed on the world and God's people around the world. I'm blown away by the warmth and kindness of these people. My love for these people already goes deeper than I can explain, after only one week with them. Also, visiting the leper colony this week and learning so much about it as it relates to Christ's love, compassion, and healing in our own lives.



SHARON FAIRCHILD

Born in United States

Raised in England

Lived in Brazil for 27 years

Current resides in Brentwood, TN


What do you do back at home?

I'm the Missions Project Coordinator at Brentwood Baptist Church.


Why did you decide to come on this trip?

I love Brazil. I love the people. I love the ministry. And any opportunity that God gives me, I'm going to take it.


What was your favorite part of the day?

Holding the babies.


What are you most surprised to see come out of this week?

Yesterday, meeting the 9-year-old boy who just got saved named David and talking with him. The unity of the team and the excitement and the focus of the church plant of the church people…I think it just came together to make an incredible team effort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment