Monday, June 13, 2011

Rio Medical Mission Journey: Meet the Evangelism Team

Meet our Evangelism Team this week (they're the ones in blue scrubs, except for Ms. Raja who's the ray of sunshine in bubblegum pink). They're developing relationships with those in the favela who come by the clinic. And they're also spending some time sharing the gospel with each person who comes through.


BECKY GROSS

From Brentwood, TN


What do you do back home?

I'm currently the Community Missions Minister at Brentwood Baptist Church.


Why did you come on this trip?

I've been a member at Brentwood Baptist for two and a half years now. I wanted to go on my first mission journey with this church. When you work in the Missions Ministry and everyone is always traveling all over the world, I miss actually serving overseas because I work out in the community. Your worldview changes when you go international. Sometimes you just can't get that in your own backyard.


What was your favorite part of the day working with the team?

There was a group of women that I was with and we were talking about the Lord. We had just started the conversation, so I didn't already know who knew Christ and who didn't. I was just talking about how good the Lord is and how good His love is. I looked at one of the ladies and her face was beaming. She was gorgeous. I could tell she was my sister in Christ. I looked at her and said, 'You're my sister in Christ, aren't you?' She nodded and said, 'Yes, I'm a Christian.' I said, 'I can tell because you're face is glowing.' I went on to share Christ with the other ladies in the group. But I think there was something special there because we knew we were family and you could just see it in her face even though we didn't speak the same language. That was so special for me.


What do you look forward to this week?

What do I not look forward to? I look forward to seeing transformed hearts and lives, both for Brazilians and our team. I don't want us to go back and be the same people that we were before we arrived—and the same goes for those we minister to.


EVAN KUNZ

From Nolensville, TN


What do you do back home?

I just graduated from Ravenwood High School, and I plan to go to Union University in the fall.


Why did you come on this trip?

I felt that God was calling me to come.


What was your favorite part of the day working on the team?

Worshiping with the Brazilians was fun this morning. It was cool to worship alongside people who don't speak your language and are from another country.


What do you look forward to this week?

Changing more lives.


KEN GROSS

From Fresno, CA


What do you do back home?

I'm a warehouse supervisor for a food distribution company.


Why did you come on this trip?

I like to participate in missions and my daughter, Becky, invited me to come.


What was your favorite part of the day working on the team?

Having such good translators to work with (I got to work with three different ones), and just walking around. When I had a little down time, I got to visit the other teams and watch them do what they've been called here to do. Everything functioned so well.


What do you look forward to this week?

I look forward to helping the new church minister to their community.


RAJA O'BRIEN

From Nashville, TN


What do you do back home?

I was a critical care nurse for 20 years. Now, I'm involved in all aspects of missions at Brentwood Baptist.


Why did you come on this trip?

Because I fell in love with Rio in 1999 when I made my first trip here. I've been coming for 12 years.


What was your favorite part of the day working with the team?

Seeing how we were finally able to put into action all the plans we had been making for so many months and watching the eight new team members just jump right in like they had been there numerous times before. And the fellowship—because that's what the fellowship of the believers is all about. It's a common thread that ties us all together. And, of course, sharing Jesus.


What do you look forward to this week?

Just continuing to watch the way the team deepens their friendships and relationships in being witness to the life-changing experience that will occur.

0 comments:

Post a Comment