Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rio Medical Mission Journey: Meet the Dental Team


BETH MCDOWELL
Wake Forest, NC

What do you do back home?
I just made a move from Nashville, so I'm currently a domestic engineer.

Why did you come on the trip?
I felt led by God. As soon as I heard there was going to be another trip led by Sharon and Raja, I knew I'd want to go. This is my second trip to Rio with Sharon.

What was your favorite part of today?
Oh goodness, there were so many. Children's faces come into my mind. One of the most tender moments was when a girl ran up and threw her arms around me. It was just a couple of hours after I'd cleaned her teeth.

What are you looking forward to this week?
I look forward to seeing the accomplishments of what's happened this week—who got saved, how many people came through medical, etc. I love having my hands on people and being able to express love through tender touch. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

KARA HERBLIN
From Franklin, TN

What do you do back home?
I'm a dental hygienist for Dr. Sara Northcutt in Franklin.

Why did you come on the trip?
I felt like the Lord was calling me to it.

What was your favorite part of today?
Having so much fun with someone you can't communicate with and being able to show love without words.

What are you looking forward to this week?
I want to continue growing with the people who are around me and learning different lessons. For instance, when I'm in pain, I get cranky. It's amazing to see the amount of kids who come in with so much decay in their mouths and yet they're so full of joy. These kids have so much more peace, but come from so much more suffering. They're more than excited to get a sticker on their shirts. They come in hurting, and that's just a cavity. Who knows what else is going on with them? I love making their smiles brighter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment